Monday, May 12, 2014

Finally some Shorebirds!

Farming and birding occasionally go together, like on a Sunday when we have to drive to Regina to get parts that aren't available anywhere closer.

We took the long, long way home and drive down backroads we'd never seen before, and most of which ended in dead ends and involved backtracking. However it seemed that every time we backtracked we were able to see either different birds, or a better look at a previous bird. Considering the mobility of birds, I don't usually mind retracing my steps at any time.
A Solitary Sandpiper. A lifer, but one we almost certainly have seen before, just didn't recognize.  I am hoping now that I have become acquainted with his spots, we will recognize him immediately the next time we meet.

The bird below is probably a Lesser Yellowlegs. His legs are not visible here, but his top parts match the other photos I have of Lesser Yellowlegs.
We saw a lot of Red-winged Blackbirds, but just a few Yellow-headed, including this female.
She was walking along this slough edge, intently checking out the straw. Not sure if she was looking for the perfect nesting spot, or just looking for lunch.

Our other lifer for the day was the Palm Warbler. We saw 2 or 3 of these. Through the binoculars they were truly beautiful.  Considering how many warblers migrate through Southern Saskatchewan, I am always disappointed in how few I see so this was another memorable moment for me.  The best of the day, I can say, although I admit this was not my best photo of the day.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations on the lifers!

Linda Loken said...

I had never noticed the colouring of the female Yellow Headed Blackbird, quietly pretty.