Saturday, June 25, 2011

Grey Partridges

There are always Partridges around our farm. Three family groups were sustained by our spilled grain over this past winter. Despite this, I seldom get a chance for a photo. By the time I slow the vehicle, the partridges have fluttered into a shelterbelt or faded into the grass. I see them closer to the house occasionally, but there again the disappearing act wins every time.

Until this week when a pair showed up for an unscheduled photo shoot. I enjoyed a closeup look at their colouring differences.
And even their personal habits,
as the female took several dustbaths. After several minutes they faded into the grass

3 comments:

Lisa said...

The burgundy and tanny orange colour are really striking together. I had no idea they had such beautiful markings.

sb said...

usually all I see is a blur as they fly away over the tracks.

Adele said...

I agree. Not sure why this pair took pity on me and stuck around. Yes, Lisa, some of their markings were a surprise to me too. They are generally shy about sharing such details.