Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snowy Owl

Among all the bird photos I've taken in the last eight years (since I've had a digital camera) there has been one notable absence. I did not have a single photo of a Snowy Owl. Not even a bad one.  This year I decided to remedy that situation. It has not been as easy as I thought.  Once I started carrying my camera every where I went, the Snowy Owls stopped sitting on the poles near our farm.  Or they sat there when a vehicle was on my bumper and stopping in a hurry was not recommended. Or when I was hurrying to work and had no time to stop. Or, oh no, did it really happen?  When I had left the camera by the door in the house.

Yesterday, however, just north of Birsay, I spied an owl. It's white shape was apparent on the top of a utility pole from some distance so I had time to slow down and pull over. I took one quick shot through the windshield, then got out and snapped two more before it decided to leave. 




Now, of course, I have a new goal.  To get a better photo of a Snowy Owl.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They are so beautiful and these are pretty good photos. But, I know what you mean.. I'd love to get a really, really good photo of one as well.

Adele said...

Thanks, Kathy. There are so few photos that I am completely satisfied with. And that's probably good, or I'd quit trying, right?

Unknown said...

So true, Adele.

Dianne said...

Way to go Adele! I really hope to get back to birding soon. I've missed it. Now if it would just warm up, it would be even better!