Friday, February 28, 2014

Northern Potoo

Ray and I are currently in Mexico.  Looking for birds.  One place in Mexico is really renowned for being a birder's dream and that is where we have started our trip.  San Blas, Nayarit.  I will do a full trip report on it when we get home to give people the information I found so difficult to find when planning this trip, but today I am just sharing one bird.  The Northern Potoo.

This is the bird in the daytime. It is the king of camouflage.

And this is a Northern Potoo a couple hours later, full darkness, and no, my flash is not that strong. The boatman had a spotlight. Not sure how the Potoo liked it, but it allowed me to take a photo (and see a bird) that I couldn't have done any other way.
Oh, right. The top photo is its back.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Make sure you bring all your pictures in April.

Adele said...

They'll be on my laptop, Dianne.