Saturday, July 9, 2011

Birding-free Week

Or nearly so. We visited grandchildren in Manitoba. Did manage to see baby Coots in the roadside sloughs, and Canada Geese that are almost as big as their parents. The bird feeder in their yard hosted numerous Goldfinches and a pair of Purple Finches while a Hummingbird visited the nectar feeder, but the Lark Sparrow above is the only photo worth sharing, and it's not going into my best birds file. It does give us a glimpse of their very interesting facial markings, however.

4 comments:

Mrs. Pauls said...

Hello!

I saw a couple of flickers flying around today, but did not stop to actually identify them.

We went to A Rocha this afternoon and saw about a hundred more gold finches. Last night we were in the valley at La Riviere and I could hear so many birds singing. I think we will go there next time to bird watch.

p.s. I heard the most shocking thing today. Is it true that Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers kill trees?

I was rather quietly indignant when I heard someone recommend that they be gotten rid of!

We do not have to worry about such things because all of ours took off after hitting the kitchen window one two many times.

Adele said...

There is an international law against killing migratory birds, so people are not allowed to get rid of sapsuckers.

Our linden tree has been the source of many sapsucker meals and so far is still green and beautiful. I do not think they kill many trees.

Glad you are finding good places to bird. I recall seeing many birds right in the town of La Riviere when we visited you there.

sb said...

Diseases can get in the holes. I put cardboard around a pine tree trunk for a couple years after a sapsucker put too many holes in it. I liked it as it was close to the house I was not so worried about trees in the bush. Maybe that was why they took to pounding on the chimney cap.

Adele said...

I expect the sapsucker was punishing you, Sandie, for covering its favourite tree.