Monday, May 9, 2011

Mystery Bird: still mysterious

When Ray and I saw this little guy, it was a mystery. After four emails from the more experienced birders on the Sask Birds list, the possibilities are a Say's Phoebe or an Eastern Phoebe. Very pretty bird. When I looked in the book on my own, I thought it didn't have the right markings for a Say's, but the Eastern doesn't have the peach tummy. Some suggested diet as the possible reason for the colouring being different, my thought now: can it be a cross?









Pointy black bill, peachy abdomen, rounded notched tail, dark eye, very faint wingbars, light coloured throat. Photographed west of Goodwin House at Sask. Landing Park.

6 comments:

Mrs. Pauls said...

Hello Mother,

Today I saw a bird that looked an awful lot like a Savannah Sparrow. Only what I saw didn't have a stripe on the top of its head.

Sparrows are too confusing.

Adele said...

You are absolutely right. Sparrows are confusing, which is why I get so excited when I manage to ID one!

Unknown said...

Hi Adele. I'm a bit late weighing in on this bird. I agree with the majority of SaskBirders - Say's Phoebe. I'm a bit jealous that you got photos of this bird. It's one I haven't been able to manage yet - just shots of the fence post or wire where one was sitting just a second before!

Looking forward to more blog posts here.

Adele said...

Thanks for your comment, Kathy. I have a lot of those fence photos, too, mostly when I'm trying to get sparrows. This guy kindly hung around for a while. I am quite sure you are right, that it is a Say's, though I was temporarily distracted by the people who suggested Eastern.

sb said...

I got a nice picture of what I think is an actual song sparrow yesterday.
LBB's are so hard to figure out.

amd said...

You and Jeanette have something in common, Sandie! I've had Song Sparrows at the feeder other years but haven't caught one this year. There is a Chipping Sparrow checking in now and then, but I haven't got a decent photo of him. This is not to say I don't have a problem with LBB myself. Especially when they are flitting by on the road, and are gone by the time we get the car slowed.