Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bartailed Godwit and other impossible dreams...

Would you drive 7 hours to see this bird? I probably wouldn't either, but only because my life is too busy. People have, however. Earlier this week, a birder from Ontario discovered a Bartailed Godwit on Luck Lake and let the world know, or at least the local birdwatchers. (This, by the way, is not the Luck Lake bird. This one was borrowed from the internet.) People have come to see this bird from Regina, Saskatoon, Hodgeville, Warman, Creighton, and Calgary. Ray and I went to look for it three times. Third time lucky. We saw it this afternoon, but only because two gentlemen from Regina had spent the previous three hours looking for it, and located it at last, just minutes before we arrived. They were very generous with their scopes and information. It was a lot of fun. I can't say I saw the bird this clearly, it was a long way away, even with scopes.


Other birds are always available for viewing on Luck Lake, including this Wilson's Phalarope.
and dozens of avocets.
And interesting assortments of gulls. This week there are hundreds of Franklin gulls. Other, more knowledgeable birders, found a young Bonaparte's Gull and 2 Sabine Gulls among them. Ray and I just saw Franklins. Also hanging around close to the shore were Ring billed gulls and California gulls. You tell me what the gull in the front is. I haven't decided yet.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

So, another bird checked on or off your lifelist?

Adele said...

You got it!

srb said...

Hi, congratulations on another bird. We saw a Caspian Tern at Police Outpost park, B thought it was a gull, I thought oversized tern which Silbey confirmed. Unfortunately no picture as even with binoculars it was far away.
I hope I did not double my comment as it did not seem to take the first one.