Monday, May 28, 2018

Drama in the back yard

I never see nests.  Or almost never.  I generally have no trouble seeing them in the winter.  Yesterday, however, I was following the song of a Yellow Warbler when the small yellow bird
 landed on its nest. 

 (A nest made mostly of baler twine which is a problem for which I have no solution.  Why?  Because I have three times found dead birds with their feet caught in twine in the nest. They get caught and can't break free.)

I have birding goals.  My main goal is to learn to recognize birds by their song.  My secondary goal is to be able to find birds that are hiding in the trees.  Therefore following the song of this warbler was aiding me in both goals.  A possible third goal is less possible I fear.  It would be to remove cowbird eggs from nests of much smaller birds.


This male Brown-headed Cowbird perched on the top of one of the highest trees in our yard (a dead poplar, sigh) where I believe it was looking for likely nests for its mate to lay her eggs.  A favourite choice are Yellow Warblers.  (A much tinier bird, sigh). When the much larger cowbird egg hatches, the much larger cowbird baby demands the most food and runs its adopted parents ragged feeding it.  Sometimes the big baby will push the littler babies out of the nest.  I would like to remove these foreign eggs from nests but since I only see nests in the winter it is too late.  Until now.  Except that this nest is many feet over my head and in a lilac bush too insubstantial to lean a ladder against.  And sure as shooting, that cowbird saw the same nest I saw.  Sigh.

One last Yellow Warbler photo because Yellow Warblers are one of the cutest birds God made.
This bird is a male.  The one in the first photo is a female.

No comments: