Sunday, November 26, 2017

Gulls

I said I was going to look for a Kittiwake and was asked if I wanted a funeral for a cat. 

We didn't find the Kittiwake, which is sad because it is a really cute bird. The fact that it would be a lifer we are seldom likely to see in our home province of Saskatchewan is secondary, of course.

It was 0 degrees at Gardiner Dam and felt much colder in the wind.

We saw Common Goldeneyes and Mallards in several places. Single adult gulls flew over several times.  We assume they were all Herring Gulls because that was the gull seen the day before by better birders than us.
In a more sheltered spot, four gulls stayed for a few photos. I believe they were all immatures, but I can't say what species. The most likely options are Herring and Glaucous. I do not excel at identifying gulls.

There doesn't seem to be any black on the wings of the three lighter gulls.

I am hoping for help here. The photos will be bigger if you click on them.

Postscript:  I've received the hoped for help from one of the aforementioned better birders.  The two adults were confirmed as Herring Gulls and the two pale gulls on the left of the photo of four are Glaucous. The dark gull is a first cycle Herring Gull and the 2nd from the right is an uncertain because of its stand and position in the photo. Both Herring and Glaucous Gulls are 4 year gulls which means they take 4 years to become adults and, to make birding more difficult, have a different plumage every year.

No comments: