Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Buffalo Pound Provincial Park

Eastern Phoebe nesting in an old barn swallow nest in a gazebo.
Mountain Bluebird
Eastern Bluebird (taken into the sun, unfortunately.  When I tried to circle around, he took offense and flew away.)
These three birds were photographed by the bison paddocks in the Nicolle Flats trailhead area.

In the main park area we saw at least two flycatchers, probably Least but as they were silent, we can only guess,

 several Chipping Sparrows,
and a noisy family of young Eastern Kingbirds.
If someone can tell me why the above Chipping Sparrow looks so different from the one below, I'd appreciate it.  Is it age?  sex?  regional variations?

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Different from which one?

Adele said...


There is a Chipping Sparrow in the post right below this one. That Chipping Sparrow has a finer black line through its eye than the Chipping Sparrow I photographed at Buffalo Pound. It also looks rounder and whiter in the face and might even have a smaller bill. I thought maybe it was a juvenile, but when I looked that up, the juveniles have striped chests and don't have a rust head, so that didn't work. It's probably just natural variations. Birds aren't cut out by cookie cutters, I just illogically expect them to look identical.