Sunday, June 21, 2015

Least Flycatcher: no longer a mystery

At a picnic today, someone told us there was a bird's nest nearby at eye level containing a titmouse.  I was immediately sceptical, but hopeful at the same time.

The nest wasn't quite at eye level, not for me anyway, but when I stood on an unused picnic table some distance away I was able to take some photos. With only half of the bird visible, identification for me is a tricky thing, but how about a Least Flycatcher?  My first guess was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but on closer viewing of the photos I'm pretty much rejecting that idea. It appears that rejection was a good choice, as this little bird has been confirmed as a Least Flycatcher.  Or as confirmed a silent flycatcher sitting on a nest can be.


Here is a photo I took a few years ago for comparison.This is a Least Flycatcher, using voice as well as appearance to make the id.

1 comment:

Nick S said...

Looks like a Least Flycatcher to me Adele ;-)